What will you talk to your kids about tonight at dinner?
Listening and talking are learned behaviors. How your children will communicate with others and you is something they are learning from you. Are you talking with and listening to them every day? About things that don’t matter, not just peppering them with questions? Is your homework done? Is your room clean? Did you do what I asked you to do?
Start young and create an atmosphere of conversation in your home.
When they are teens it is UNBELIEVABLY important that your teens trust you to listen when they talk. They need to be able to come to you and talk about both the meaningless and the meaningful.
I am 17 years into parenting and my teenagers talk with me. Often and about all topics. The reason they do is because I have been talking, asking and listening to them for years. Talk with your kids, do it often, you will reap the rewards when it matters most.
It’s always a good time to talk with your tweens and teens about giving back, however there is something about the holiday season that makes it even more important. This week on Ooph you will be provided with a couple of ways to help your kids give back to others. These questions are a good way to get started. Enjoy getting to know your kids.
TABLE TALK WEEK 38
1. If you could pick any other birthday, what day would you have chosen to be born?
3. If you were a photographer what kind of photos would you specialize in?
4. If you were in charge of creating a new club at school, what would the name and purpose of your club be?
5. Do you think teenagers should be able to get tattoos? What age is the right age?
6. What is the biggest, non-physical, difference between boys and girls?
7. Would you rather live in a big city like New York or a small town where everyone knows who you are?
8. If someone offered you $10,000 to stay in a supposedly haunted mansion all alone with no way to contact anyone for 24 hours, would you? If not, how much would it take?
9. If you wrote a book, what would it be about?
10. If you had to completely eliminate one season, which one would you choose?