In the last couple of years both Stefanie and I sold our homes. Not only did we sell them, but we both sold them within a week of listing. It took a good month prepping our homes before we listed them though. Here are a few of our tips that helped us sell our homes quickly and will hopefully help you too!
1. Simplify Your Decor: If you have cheetah print carpet in your bathroom, know that you are in the minority. Potential buyers want to be able to envision themselves living in your home. You may love your zebra print carpet and hot pink walls, but most buyers will have a hard time looking past that. As close to a white palette as possible is best.
2. Price Your House Without Emotion: Make sure you price your house based on the market, not what your emotions tell you. Nothing will make your house sit on the market longer than an emotionally charged asking price.
3. Stage Your Home: You want potential buyers to move freely from room to room without tripping over toys, clutter or fido’s doggy bed. If you’re not sure how to do this, hire someone.
4. Scrub the House: Hire a professional to clean your house. It’s worth the money. No one wants to buy another person’s dirt.
5. Get Your Carpets Cleaned: Nothing makes a house look fresher than stain-free carpets.
6. Clean Your Windows: Get your windows professionally cleaned. You won’t believe how much brighter this makes your home!
7. Paint the House: Paint both the interior and exterior. If your exterior looks faded a fresh coat of paint will help your curb appeal. On the interior pick a neutral yet contemporary paint color. A big trend right now is every shade of gray.
8. Power Wash the Exterior: Get all the dust, grime and cobwebs taken care off. Your house will look new again.
9. Touch up the Nicks and Marks: Before you paint, fill in every hole. It’s a pain we know, but it makes a home look newer when it has no dings.
10. Simplify and Clean Your Yard: Make sure your weeds are pulled, patch your grass with sod and plant fresh flowers. This is a great time to hire a gardner to trim up all the trees, add fresh mulch and add color.
11. Straighten for Showings: Make sure you make the beds, pick up the toys, no dirty dishes in the sink, and put away any clutter. Your potential buyers should want to escape their current home and dive into yours because it’s so perfectly ready for them to move into.
12. Open the Blinds and Curtains: Walking into a dark dungeon is not appealing. Let the light in!
13. Light Candles: Nothing too perfumy. Something relaxing like you would find at a spa.
14. Depersonalize Your Home: As much as possible remove things that make the home yours. Photos, religious decor, etc. You want buyers to see themselves in your home, not you.
Don’t be surprised if you want to keep your house after you get everything taken care of. We did.