When you walk around 7 months pregnant you’re bound to get unsolicited baby advice. I don’t care if it’s your first baby or your 10th, there is always someone out there who believes they know more than you do. AND of course they have to share their wisdom with you.
Let’s be honest with each other, most of the unsolicited baby advice gets ignored, but occasionally you get advice that is just plain unrealistic!
1. Sleep when your baby sleeps. Really? Maybe (and that’s a strong maybe) with the 1st one, but after that… forget it! There’s housework, other kids, normal everyday chores, and what about working moms? There is no napping when they nap.
2. Let your baby cry it out or pick up your baby when ever it cries. Here’s the Gods honest truth, you’ll do what’s best for you and your baby. You know your baby better than anyone else. You’ll know when to pick them up and when to just let them cry.
3. Your baby should be sleeping through the night by 3 months. Really? Your baby should be sleeping through the night when it’s ready. Don’t let others people advice pressure you or make you feel like something is wrong with your baby.
4. Breastfeeding comes naturally for everyone. Um, NO it doesn’t. If you are breastfeeding and you’re having problems, ask help! It’s not always as easy and some Moms make it seem.
5. If you breastfeed the baby weight will fall right off. Sure, if you eat right and exercise just like a non breastfeeding mama that baby weight will soon start to disappear.
6. Sleep now because you won’t sleep when the baby gets here. Yes, didn’t you know that you can store that extra sleep for future use.
So the next time someone gives you unrealistic advice, first let me know I could use the giggle. Second just smile and say thank you. No one knows your baby better than you do!