Disclosure – This post is sponsored by intelliBED, but all the words, thoughts, sleepless nights, backaches, and snoring are all mine.
This year I turn 43 and, to be honest, it’s starting to scare me. This is the year I start making health decisions for me and my family. We’re exercising more, eating better foods, and learning to sleep better. Yes, I said learning to sleep better. This means sleep routines, setting up a proper sleep environment, eating foods that encourage sleep and most importantly a bed that actually aligns our bodies correctly to allow us to sleep more comfortably.
MomSmack has partnered up with intelliBED to bring a series of posts and a webinar dedicated to helping you sleep better as well. Over the next several weeks, we’ll be covering how to create a proper sleeping environment, healthy sleep routines, and finally a relaxing pre-bed yoga routine to help encourage a restful night’s sleep.
Any mother can tell you that you can survive without a lot of sleep, but it’s not always a happy, healthy existence. Not only can a lack of sleep make you grumpy, but it affects your health and can be extremely unsafe because it impacts reaction time and judgement.
Well, that depends on you as a person, but the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA) suggest the following.
- Babies and toddlers need about need about 16 hours per day.
- School-age kids need about 9-16 hours per day.
- Teenagers need about 9 hours per day though it may seem like they’d sleep 24 hour if you let them.
- Us adults need 7-8 hours. There are some adults that need as few as 5. Then there are those adults like me who need between 9 and 10 hours.
- Mood – Any new mother can tell you that when you don’t get enough sleep you feel irritable, angry and downright hostile. Lack of sleep can enhance your negative mood and actually can minimize your ability to control your anger.
- Weight loss – Studies show that inadequate sleep can cause psychological abnormalities that could cause an increase in appetite. In order to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight you not only need a healthy diet and exercise, you need sleep!
- Memory and learning – Those all-nighters might not be helpful as you thought. You might remember what you’ve learned in the short term, but your long-term memory will suffer. Newly learned information and memories undergo a process of reorganization and consolidation while you sleep.
- Helps Creativity – The APA believes dreams and creativity are directly related. While sleeping you can be finding inspiration in your dreams or dreaming a creative solution to a dilemma. Your brain is more open or “free flowing” to come up with ideas, you might not if you were away.
- Helps you pay attention – Lack of sleep affects your ability to concentrate and process information efficiently. This all leads to your inability to stay focused.
- Lower Stress – Sleep and stress are a horrible cycle. You can’t sleep because you’re stressed, you’re stressed so you can’t sleep.
- Health/stronger immunity – You need to sleep in order to give your body a chance to fight off viruses and bacteria.
About seven years ago my husband and I purchased a traditional spring mattress. Within a year, canyons were developing in the mattress. We flipped, rotated and swapped sides over and over. We’ve dealt with back issues and sleepless nights due to tossing and turning. It was time for a change!
We’ve had our new intelliBED 30 Deluxe for about a month now, and we noticed a difference in our sleep almost immediately. The first thing we noticed was that it doesn’t feel like a traditional spring mattress. Most mattresses are made primarily with foam, which will sag up to 25 percent after two years, offering poor alignment support and sleeping posture. You can feel each part of your body supported evenly by the mattress. The medical grade intelli-GEL® relieves pressure points. I felt the relief in the arch of my back the moment I laid down.
When intelliBED started to develop their product line they consulted with leading medical experts to define the four pillars of healthy sleep.
- Best Pressure Relief – Remains firm to support weight until it senses a pressure point, where it relaxes to relieve the pressure and redistribute the weight.
- Best Back Support – No sagging mattress
- Safest Material – intelli-GEL® is made with food-grade mineral oil and no toxic compounds.
- Superior Durability – 30 year warranty
- Amie M. Gordon, PhD, http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/between-you-and-me/201308/all-night-the-effects-sleep-loss-mood – August 15, 2013
- http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/need-sleep/whats-in-it-for-you/mood – Harvard.edu December 15, 2008
- National Sleep Foundation http://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/obesity-and-sleep/page/0%2C1/ – 2003
- Björn Rasch and Jan Born http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3768102/ – National Institute of Health April 2013
- Tore DeAngelis http://www.apa.org/monitor/nov03/canvas.aspx – Nov. 2013