It’s time Ellie! You are officially a 2nd grader!
Up until now you learned to read. Today you start to read to learn and I couldn’t be more excited for you.
Yet another new school this year. I’m so sorry. I know that you have been fighting the butterflies all week. The look on your face this morning said it all.
I know that’s difficult, but I promise this is it. You’re home!
Normally I write you a tear inducing first day of school letter. This year I’m going do something a little different. There are a few things I want you to know and remember this year.
1. You are an amazing kid! You don’t need funny stories, noises or faces to make people like you. These kids are going to like you because you are incredible! You don’t need to make them laugh. Just be you!
2. You don’t always need a story to top somebody else’s story. Sometimes just sitting back and listening to their story is the perfect thing to do.
3. You do not need to go see the nurse for every bump or bruise. Seriously, it’s not a good thing to become best friends with the nurse.
4. If something is bothering you, please tell me. If you’re having a day where you really need me to walk you to your class rather than just dropping you off, let me know. You don’t always have to be the girl who can do it on her own.
5. If your friends don’t want to play what you’re playing, it doesn’t mean they don’t like you or are leaving you out of the game. Even if you don’t really want to, play what your friends want to play once in awhile.
6. Don’t let your friends decide for you. If you don’t like Justin Beiber and everyone else does, it’s ok. Justin Timberlake is a WAY better artist! 😉
7. It’s good to be a rule follower. Keep it up!
8. It’s ok to not be the best at math or any other subject. It’s not ok to not try your hardest.
9. Don’t do anything gross in class. Don’t pick your nose, don’t burp or make any other gross sounds. Not because I care what the kids think, but because oh your poor teacher. Be kind to her.
10. Remember you are an amazing kid. We are so incredibly proud of you and the person you are becoming! Enjoy every moment of your second grade year. It’s going to go by quickly! Don’t blink!