What will you talk to your kids about tonight at dinner?
Listening and talking are learned behaviors. How your children will communicate with others and you is something they are learning from you. Are you talking with and listening to them every day? About things that don’t matter, not just peppering them with questions? Is your homework done? Is your room clean? Did you do what I asked you to do?
Start young and create an atmosphere of conversation in your home.
When they are teens it is UNBELIEVABLY important that your teens trust you to listen when they talk. They need to be able to come to you and talk about both the meaningless and the meaningful.
I am 17 years into parenting and my teenagers talk with me. Often and about all topics. The reason they do is because I have been talking, asking and listening to them for years. Talk with your kids, do it often, you will reap the rewards when it matters most.
It’s always a good time to talk with your tweens and teens about giving back, however there is something about the holiday season that makes it even more important. This week on Ooph you will be provided with a couple of ways to help your kids give back to others. These questions are a good way to get started. Enjoy getting to know your kids.
1. Would you rather be a shark or a dolphin? What would be the best part of both?
2. When you look at your life, what one thing that you have accomplished so far, is almost impossible to believe?
3. Spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna?
4. Would you rather be really really smart or really really funny. Why?
5. If you could run an ad on every site in the country for ten free minutes, what would it say? You only have 15 words.
6. If you could make one rainfall flavored, what flavor would you make it?
7. Would you rather float on a cloud or slide down a rainbow? Why? For clarity there is no pot of gold.
8. If your alarm clock used my voice every morning to wake you, what would you want it to say?
9. If you could compete in any X Games event which would you choose?
10. If you could take a rocket into outer space, would you? Why? What would you like to see?