What will you talk to your kids about tonight at dinner?
Listening and talking are learned behaviors. How your children will communicate with others and you is something they are learning from you. Are you talking with and listening to them every day? About things that don’t matter, not just peppering them with questions? Is your homework done? Is your room clean? Did you do what I asked you to do?
When they are teens it is UNBELIEVABLY important that your teens trust you to listen when they talk. They need to be able to come to you and talk about both the meaningless and the meaningful.
Start young and create an atmosphere of conversation in your home.
I am 17 years into parenting and my teenagers talk with me. Often and about all topics. The reason they do is because I have been talking, asking and listening to them for years. Talk with your kids, do it often, you will reap the rewards when it matters most.
It’s always a good time to talk with your tweens and teens about giving back, however there is something about the holiday season that makes it even more important. This week on Ooph you will be provided with a couple of ways to help your kids give back to others. These questions are a good way to get started. Enjoy getting to know your kids.
1. What movie comes to mind when you think of our family?
2. If you had to spend every Saturday for a year doing the exact same thing what would that be?
3. If you could read only one person’s mind, whose would it be?
4. If you could go back in time and live one month as either Abraham Lincoln or George Washington who would you choose to be?
5. What is the best book you’ve ever read?
6. If there was a holiday named after you how would you like it celebrated?
7. If you could give one animal species the ability to talk, which one other than a dog, would you choose?
8. If you could be named any other name, what would you choose?
9. If I could snap my fingers and make you able to speak two additional languages fluently, which two would you choose?
10. Which one of your friends is most likely to run for President?