As the kids get older and their busy schedules get busier, it becomes increasingly difficult to find time for family dinners. While we strive for at least three nights per week, we have a MANDATORY Sunday night family dinner and Table Talk is always a crowd pleaser. It is amazing what you learn about your kids when you ask fun questions and not directed questions. By directed I mean: “Do you have a girlfriend/boyfriend?” “Did you have a good day at school?” “Do any of your friends drink or smoke pot?” “Have you ever sexted or received a sext?” They will plead the 5th faster than a politician under oath.
I am 17 years into parenting and my teenagers talk with me. Often and about all topics. The reason they do is because I have been talking, asking and listening to them for years. Talk with your kids, do it often, you will reap the rewards when it matters most.
Enjoy your family time. The days might be long, but the years go by fast.
1. What special talent do you wish you had?
2. If we gave you $10,000 what would you do with it?
3. If you could live with any “tv family” which one would it be?
4. Which is a better invention the ipod or the television? Which could you live without?
5. What is your best personality trait? What is something you want to work on?
6. What is one word that describes our family? Why?
7. If I could wave a magic wand and give you any profession you wanted, what would it be?
8. If we could go on a European vacation with any other family, which family would you choose to go with us?
9. What is your favorite meal? What is your favorite restaurant?
10. If you could choose only one movie that you were allowed to watch over and over, which one would it be.