Listening and talking are learned behaviors. How your children will communicate with others and you is something they are learning from you. Are you talking with and listening to them every day? About things that don’t matter, not just peppering them with questions? Is your homework done? Is your room clean? Did you do what I asked you to do?
When they are teens it is UNBELIEVABLY important that your teens trust you to listen when they talk. They need to be able to come to you and talk about both the meaningless and the meaningful.
Start young and create an atmosphere of conversation in your home.
I am 17 years into parenting and my teenagers talk with me. Often and about all topics. The reason they do is because I have been talking, asking and listening to them for years. Talk with your kids, do it often, you will reap the rewards when it matters most.
It’s always a good time to talk with your tweens and teens about giving back, however there is something about the holiday season that makes it even more important. This week on Ooph you will be provided with a couple of ways to help your kids give back to others. These questions are a good way to get started. Enjoy getting to know your kids.
1. If we decided as a family to donate $1,000 to any charity, which charity would you choose?
2. If you could live in any country for one year and volunteer your time, which country would that be?
3. If you could do one thing locally this holiday season to give back, what would you do? Are you going to do it?
4. Why is it important to give back?
5. Is it important to you that people know when you do something for them? Do you get the same feeling from giving if you aren’t given recognition?
6. How do you feel when you think about all that we have and you think about all those that have nothing? Does it make you want to take action? If so, what action?
7. What percentage of your income should be used to help others, if any? Do you think most people do that? What would happen if they did?
8. If you had to choose one charity that you would back for the rest of your life, what would it be? Why that one?