What will you talk to your kids about tonight at dinner?
Listening and talking are learned behaviors. How your children will communicate with others and you is something they are learning from you. Are you talking with and listening to them every day? About things that don’t matter, not just peppering them with questions? Is your homework done? Is your room clean? Did you do what I asked you to do?
Start young and create an atmosphere of conversation in your home.
When they are teens it is UNBELIEVABLY important that your teens trust you to listen when they talk. They need to be able to come to you and talk about both the meaningless and the meaningful.
I am 17 years into parenting and my teenagers talk with me. Often and about all topics. The reason they do is because I have been talking, asking and listening to them for years. Talk with your kids, do it often, you will reap the rewards when it matters most.
It’s always a good time to talk with your tweens and teens about giving back, however there is something about the holiday season that makes it even more important. This week on Ooph you will be provided with a couple of ways to help your kids give back to others. These questions are a good way to get started. Enjoy getting to know your kids.
1. If I could snap my fingers and you would be sitting at the Eiffel Tower, the Coliseum or a gondola in Venice, which would you choose?
2. If there was a song played every time you entered a room, what song would that be?
3. If we told you we were leaving on a week long trip tomorrow would you rather go snowboarding in the mountains or beach side in Hawaii?
4. Why does your room look like a tornado hit it? Does it matter to you?
5. When was the last time you did something you were REALLY proud of? What was it?
6. If you could have dinner with Elvis, Lincoln or Will Ferrell who would you choose?
7. If they could all get you there equally as fast, would you travel by planes, trains or boats?
8. How old do you think you should be before you get married?
9. If you were told tomorrow that you had to change your name, what new first name would you choose?
10. If they made a movie about our lives, who do you think would play me in that movie?
More Table Talk.