What will you talk to your kids about tonight at dinner?
Listening and talking are learned behaviors. How your children will communicate with others and you is something they are learning from you.
Are you talking with and listening to them every day? About things that don’t matter, not just peppering them with questions? Is your homework done? Is your room clean? Did you do what I asked you to do?
Start young and create an atmosphere of conversation in your home.
When they are teens it is UNBELIEVABLY important that your teens trust you to listen when they talk. They need to be able to come to you and talk about both the meaningless and the meaningful.
I am 17 years into parenting and my teenagers talk with me. Often and about all topics. The reason they do is because I have been talking, asking and listening to them for years. Talk with your kids, do it often, you will reap the rewards when it matters most.
It’s always a good time to talk with your tweens and teens about giving back, however there is something about the holiday season that makes it even more important. This week on Ooph you will be provided with a couple of ways to help your kids give back to others. These questions are a good way to get started. Enjoy getting to know your kids.
Table Talk: Week 40
1. If you wrote an autobiography what would you title it?
2. Ice cream sandwich or oreos dipped in milk?
3. When you hear others making fun of someone behind their back do you find it hard not to join in, even if you don’t agree with what they are saying, because you want to feel like you are a part of the conversation?
5. Is it ok for a girl to ask a guy out on a date? If yes, does she have to do it in person or is it acceptable that she does it on Facebook?
6. How common is sexting? Does the media make it sound more common than it is or is it actually happening a lot?
7. Who is your favorite teacher so far and why?
8. Do you like rollercoasters? If no, do you go on them anyway?
9. Would you want to someday be the President of the United States? Why or why not?
10. Would you rather work at Facebook or at Google?