The following post has been sponsored by Aveeno®, but all the words, thoughts and baby bath time are my own.
I have three kids with the most sensitive skin. Use the wrong product on them and you can tell within minutes. No sooner are they out of the bath and their skin is already drying out and I know soon I’m going to have a few itchy kids on my hand. Living in Southern California only makes matter worse. We’re outside in the hot dry sun almost everyday. Between the Santa Ana winds, the sand and the salt from the ocean, my kids’ skin gets a constant workout.
We have a few tips that we use to help keep our baby, toddler and big kid’s skin soft and healthy.
1. Bath Time – Infants should only be bathed twice a week, babies and toddlers, and kids do not need a bath every day. Water can actually dry out young and even not so young (meaning your) skin. So if you can skip bath time a couple days a week DO! Make sure you use the appropriate baby soap as well. We use AVEENO® Baby Wash & Shampoo because it blends natural oat extract into a rich lathering wash. Most importantly it cleans without drying because it is soap free and allergy tested.
2. The Sun – Protect that new skin from the sun and I’m not just talking about sunscreen. Hats, screens and protect those eyes.
3. Laundry – Use a mild detergent with light to no scent. Artificial scents can irritate sensitive skin.
4. Diapers – I don’t care if they’re cloth or disposable, check them frequently! If a baby or toddler sits in a wet diaper it will quickly cause diaper rash.
5. Moisturize – I can’t say this enough! We use AVEENO® Baby Daily Moisture Lotion at least twice a day. Once in the morning and right before bedtime. If it’s really dry out we’ll use it before naptime as well.
6. Oatmeal Bath – About every other week or more depending upon the weather, we give our kids a AVEENO® Baby Eczema Therapy Soothing Bath Treatment. It relieves any dry itchy skin almost immediately!
Make sure you read other articles in our skincare series: