Becoming a mother for the first time is life changing. It is exhausting, yet energizing, challenging, yet your natural instincts kick in. My journey has only been 18 months long, but I have learned the world of mommy-hood has lots of surprises.
1. You will be tired—-beyond tired, actually. Yet, somehow, you will be able to change 10 diapers and 4 outfits, make breakfast ,speak coherently, and brush your teeth all on 1 hour of sleep. I’m not sure where this energy comes from, but I get more done now, on less sleep, than before I had my son.
2. No matter how hard you try or tricks you have, inevitably you will get peed on while changing a diaper. I’ve been told this happens regardless of gender, but boys are definitely worse!
3. I knew breastfeeding would be challenging, but I had no idea how often my son would want to nurse. It was so frequently, that friends and family would actually comment on it. On the day of his newborn pictures, he nursed for 40 minutes on each side! All while our photographer just sat there waiting to take pictures. I am still nursing at 18 months, completely by choice, but this comes with its own set of challenges and judgment. It does get better and remember, do what is best for you and your baby!
4. Parents are the most opinionated people you will ever meet. I had no idea till I became one. Vaccinate or not, circumcise or not, breastfeed/bottle feed, cosleeping, rear-facing car seats, the list could go on and on. The parenting wars are endless and, unless where health and safety are concerned, you have to take everything with a grain of salt.
5. YOU CAN DO THIS! It can be overwhelming with advice, research, and information constantly thrown in your face, but remember, you are the parent and you are able to make the best choices for your child. I was completely terrified of giving a baby a bath. I even took a parenting class that gave you baby dolls to practice bathing (seriously). I think it took me 2 months before I would finally give my son a bath on my own. I am ok with that! You will grow as your child grows and learn along with them, becoming a better parent one day at a time!
Rachel is a first time mom to a sweet 18-month old baby boy. She lives in Lynchburg, Virginia and enjoys spending every second she can with her husband and son. This is her first venture into the world of mommy blogging, but she definitely hopes it is not the last!
Make sure you read about the other first time moms
If you’re a new mom we’d love to hear what surprised you. Email us at momsmack@Gmail.com for details.