When I was pregnant with Ellie, 7 years ago, I had a huge list of items we just had to have. By the time we brought her home, to a fully stocked nursery, I had probably made 100 trips to the baby store.
I do believe I actually had baby food in the pantry for her, which all expired before she was ready for food. I was crazy! I honestly think I used maybe 1/2 of everything I had purchased.
I know how many of you new or soon to be Mommies feel. Walking into Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby or even the Target baby department for the first time can be extremely overwhelming! When you start looking around the internet that only makes it worse.
I mean honestly, do we really need to have a vibrating pacifier the day we bring home a new baby? NO!
You also don’t need a bumbo, high chair, exersaucer or anything else that a baby won’t use in the first 3 months.
What you do need are thing that are going to simplify what is about to be a not so simple time in your life.
So aside from the obvious infant carseat, what does a newborn need?
I have prepared a Minimalist version of the Newborn Checklist…
- At least 12 swaddling blankets! In my opinion you cannot have enough!
- 2 weeks of newborn diapers
- 6 packs of wipes
- Diaper rash cream
- If you’re going to use a pacifier make sure you have a few different kinds. All babies are different and you don’t know which one the baby will take to.
- 1 bottle of Baby Shampoo and Lotion.
- A place for baby to sleep. Bassinet, side sleeper or crib.
- 7 footie pajamas
- 7 onies
- 1 coming home outfit.
- Swing or a vibrating chair. You can’t hold baby 100% of the time. I love the 4Moms mamaRoo and the rockaRoo.
- Baby nail file, clippers and gloves. Those little nails grow fast and super sharp!
If you’re going to bottle feed
- 6 bottles with newborn nipples.
- large can of chosen formula
The best piece of advice I have for any new mom
- Find a service online where you can order your diapers, formula, wipes and other baby essentials. One less trip to the store makes life so much easier for new parents. I have a couple different suggestions here.
You’re going to have plenty of time to order and shop for everything else once baby is here. Things like exersaucers, toys, and vibrating teethers will make their way into your home when you need them.
I’ve made it even a little simpler for you. How about a print out checklist? Just click on the image below for the downloadable PDF.