Every single year millions of us say that we’re going to get organized this year. Every year we start out with good intentions, but quickly become overwhelmed and give up.
This year stop putting so much pressure on yourself and follow these simple rules.
1. Keep it simple! This is not the time to tear out and install a new organization system in your closet. We’re just getting rid of things we don’t need now.
2. Work on one area at a time. Don’t try organizing your kitchen and bathroom at the same time. This is a sure way to overwhelm yourself.
3. Give yourself a time limit on each area, write it down and stick to it! Be exact. I give myself 2 hours to organize my kitchen. If I start at 9am I’ll write 11:00am down. I’ll keep an eye on the clock and if I see I’m lagging I pick up the speed!
4. Don’t be afraid to throw it away or donate it. I good rule of thumb is if you haven’t used it in a year your don’t need it. Of course there are always exceptions.
5. Make a check list! This will help you keep track of what you’re doing and help you stay motivated. The thought of actually making the list stress you out? Don’t worry! I have a list already done for you.
Click on image for a printable version of the checklist.