Why yes, this is likely the most boring article to write and read, but for everyone out there with a front loader washing machine, you need these tips!
1. Read your owners manual! Yes, you actually need to read that owners manual. It will provide you with cleaning and maintenance tips.
2. Take clothes out of the washer as soon as possible. Never let it go more than a few hours.
3. Leave the door and detergent cup open slightly for an hour or two after cycles to let it dry out.
4. Run the clean washer cycle once a month in the washer you have. In addition, once or twice a month wipe the gasket down with a cloth damp with a bleach/water solution. The maintenance is the key bit a lot of people miss and skimp on.
5. Always always always use HE detergent. This is the number one cause of problems for people. People tend to assume HE detergent is like high performance gas – completely unnecessary. And even when they do use HE detergent, they use too much. If you see suds, you probably used too much detergent. That leaves a film in the washer and causes all sorts of issues. The New York Times even did an article on HE detergent! (Read it here)