As with any party, some of the best ways to capture the day is through the details. Here are some tips so that you can capture your next party like a pro!
1. Make sure after you set up your perfectly “pinned” party, you take your pictures. Don’t wait to do it after guests show up. Get your cake and all of it’s glory, your table settings, the little goodie bags, try to step back and maybe take a room shot as well.
3. Take a candid of each kid. They can be running or looking at the cake table. Just try to take a quick capture of all their little friends. If you have an older child, perhaps they could stand by the present table and grab a quick picture as they come in. Again… attention is best captured before they start to play. Once they are engaged in the party, settle (and be perfectly fine with) candids.
4. Get candids of the party kid just doing party things. Just having fun. What do you really care about remembering 10 years from now?
5. Right before the cake, take one big group photo of all the kids. This is a great time for a couple of reasons. 1. Everyone stays through cake. 2. They are all pre-programmed to stop moving to eat said cake and will be easily grouped. DO NOT tell them to get together for a photo, tell them it’s for cake. They are hard wired to hate photos but love cake.
6. Know when to put the camera down. As parents we forget to take in the party and just be present. So if you think that you are going to want a lot of photos, plan the party and extra 30 minutes or so and then do just that. Take photos and then just put the camera down!