I’ll admit it. I have a huge bag in my closet of gifts I’ve received in the past that are now just taking up valuable real-estate in my closet. They were giving to my by various people in the past and I have no use for them. Most are what I like to call “Next years White Elephant gift“. They were all bought with out me or anyone in mind. Most likely purchased on black friday or during another sale with the mind set of “These will make the good gift for someone.”
I know it’s the thought that counts. That’s the point! It’s the thought! Think of the person you’re buying for. Don’t just buy something just for the sake of buying a gift. Let’s come together and put a stop this needless gift giving. All it’s doing is clutter up the gift receivers house!
To make sure your gift doesn’t end up as next year’s White Elephant gift follow these 5 simple rules.
1. Do not buy just because it’s on sale! It may sound like a good deal, but if there isn’t someone who you know that specifically needs, has asked for, or has expressed interest in the item it’s just a waste of money!
2. Make a list of everyone you’d like to buy for and then list 3 to 5 interest under that persons name. We know Aunt Matilda likes Cats, Knitting and Baking. So no, she doesn’t need that unicorn statue you saw on sale at Marshalls.
3. Listen closely! Where does your friend get their hair done? Favorite Spa? Favorite store? Get them a gift card!
4. Does your friend want a big ticket item, but won’t buy it for themselves? Call your mutual friends and or family and pull your money. One great gift is better than a ton of little needless presents.
5. Treat a friend to a night out. It doesn’t have to be expensive, dinner at McDonalds even. More than likely your friend would much rather spend time with you than pretend to like the neon yellow vase you saw on the clearance table.
6. Keep giving bad gifts. At least I won’t have to go out and White Elephant gifts next year.