When you move into a new house you have an idea of how you want each room to look. Magazine perfect furniture, pictures and decor pieces. The reality is that it doesn’t happen instantly, it takes time to collect the perfect pieces. In the meantime you have to make due with what you already own. This doesn’t mean your rooms have to sit undecorated. Use what you already own!
Our home is very much a representation of who we are as a family. Everything is bright, beachy and casual. We definitely have a California Coastal home.
1. Start with your paint. What look and style do you want to create? We wanted a soft casual coastal feel. We picked a soft blue we fell in love with at one of our favorite resorts The Omni at Bedford Springs.
Sherman-Williams Sky High 6504
2. What is your inspiration piece? Mine was just a simple starfish and two Pottery Barn Lanterns. Once I had these pieces the rest just started to fall into place.
3. That one perfect piece of furniture to build the room around. This could be a chair, rug, couch or just about anything. For me it was the white couch I had always imagined sitting in my beach house living room.
4. Work with what you’ve got. The end tables and the coffee table have to go, but we haven’t found what to replace them with yet. Instead of going without or replacing it with something I don’t love I use pieces I do love to help them blend in.
5. Comfortable seating. Comfortable seating doesn’t have to mean a chair or couch. I love these two oversized bean bag chairs from Pottery Barn Teen. They’re perfect for the kids to sit in on during movie nights.
6. Add color with pillows. The best part about pillows is that you can change a whole room by just changing out the pillows.
7. Art work. Make sure your art work fits the style of your room. I wouldn’t add a large gold framed photo to this room. It would stick out like a sore thumb. I loved these three prints from ZGallarie because they had that perfect Coastal California feel.
8. Add finishing touches. This is my favorite part. I love adding small touches to complete the look. Seashells, sand, candles and lanterns can be found throughout my house.
9. Think out of the box. This arrow shaped shelf that I found at HomeGoods might not scream coastal, but filled with few beach finds it fits in perfectly into our casual living space.
10. Always be on the look out for new pieces. Right now I’m looking for the perfect coral red chair to bring more color into the room. I’m also searching for the that perfect coffee table and end tables.