Think your teen isn’t texting and driving? The numbers say you are probably wrong. What you should know and what you can do.
1. 55% of young adult drivers claim it’s easy to text while they drive.
2. Teens who text while driving spend approximately 10% of of their driving time outside of their lane.
3. 77% of young adult drivers are somewhat or very confident that they can safely text while driving.
4. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, texting while driving kills 11 teens each day.
5. Five seconds is the minimal amount of time your teen’s attention is taken away from the road while driving.
CLOSE YOUR EYES AND COUNT TO FIVE. Now imagine your teen doing that while driving.
6. In 2011 at least 23 percent of collisions involved a cell phone. That’s 1.3 million crashes.
7. Driving a vehicle while texting is six times more dangerous than driving while intoxicated according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
8. 97% of teens say it’s dangerous. 43% admit to doing it anyway.
WHY? Because they are teenagers. And in case you have forgotten what it feels like to be a teen? It feels invincible.
Take the option of texting away. It’s too risky and temptation is too great. An OBD device that runs on the Sprint network can do just that. It disables your teen’s cell phone while the car is in motion. Find out more about this device here. All you need to do is ask your insurance agent for one. Call today!
The OBD device works with ALL networks.
A great video to share with your teens because sometimes it’s easier for them to think about others rather than themselves.