After years of my kids cratering or raiding the pantry and eating a bunch of processed junk after school, I came up with a list of easy and healthy snack foods. I spend time on Sundays preparing the snacks that will get us through the afternoons meltdown free, prepared for practice and not whining, “I’m hunnnnnggggrrrrryyyy,” while I desperately try and throw something together or give into their demands for Doritos.
I usually spend an hour and I grill up several chicken breasts, clean the veggies, chop the celery, make a batch of muffins, chop and freeze bananas, boil the edamame, etc. You get the idea. Below is a list of snack options that will make your life easier.
1. Peanut butter and celery or apples with a yogurt drink.
2. Vanilla yogurt with granola and berries or banana. (I highly recommend this easy to make granola.)
4. Pita chips, celery and carrots with hummus.
5. Quesadilla with cheese, spread sweet potato on tortilla (bake potato on Sunday) and chopped spinach with apple slices on the side.
6. Peanut butter, frozen bananas and greek yogurt smoothie. (I buy organic bananas, bring them home and let them ripen, then slice and freeze them for smoothies.)
7. Edamame, brown rice and chopped chicken with a side of light soy sauce.
8. Fruit skewers with vanilla yogurt for dipping.
9. Peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole wheat.
10. Homemade smoothie popsicles with a side of granola.
11. Baked whole wheat English muffins with pizza sauce and cheese and a side of fruit.
13. Pretzels, string cheese and watermelon.
14. Tortilla, spread with cream cheese, put a layer of turkey, roll up and slice to make look like sushi pieces with a side of orange slices.
15. And the week wouldn’t be complete without what we call in this house, “Feel Good Friday.” A yummy treat to reward yourself for making it through the week. Frozen yogurt with toppings, ice cream, homemade peanut butter oatmeal cookies or chocolate chip muffins. Hope this snack list makes your life easier. Now if someone could come up with a list of breakfast items my teens can run out the door with…