I always do a Google search for my Ooph Lists before I write them. I want to make sure I am not stepping on anyone’s toes. I was HORRIFIED by what I found when I Googled “first date tips for girls”. You should be too. Every tip or list I found was how to get a guy to like you. How to impress. How not to be a turn off. Disgusting.
Not one list was about protecting themselves. Being themselves. Or caring about a boy impressing them. I hope this list is VERY different from the others you find on the internet. I hope it empowers and inspires your daughters.
11 Things Girls Should Know Before Their First Date
1. Always have an out plan. Use your parents if you need to. Have a certain thing you text mom or dad and we will call and get you home.
2. You are NEVER helpless. SAY NO and then fight HARD if you have to.
3. Be yourself, not what you think he wants you to be.
4. Have a couple of topics to talk about in case the conversation stalls. First dates can be awkward for both of you. Topics can be something going on at school, something you are interested in or something you know he is.
5. If there is a little voice inside your head telling you something? LISTEN.
6. Don’t post your date on Facebook before it happens. And? Don’t talk about it on Facebook after. Good or bad. Too much pressure and too personal.
7. If it doesn’t feel right, it isn’t. Go home.
8. Stay in public or around other people.
9. A boy should knock on your front door and introduce himself to your parents. He should walk you to your door at the end of your date and say goodnight to them too.
10. If he isn’t a gentleman on your first date, he never will be.
11. Don’t overdress or wear too much makeup. Just wear what you feel comfortable in. He asked you out because he likes you the way you are.
What would you add to this list?