We all have an idea of what we want our daughters to know before we send them off into the world. I’m been making a mental list from the moment Ellie came into this world.
1. Respect – Treat everyone with respect. I mean everyone! From the homeless man on the corner, to the police officer writing you a ticket. Even if you don’t feel like that person deserves your respect, you still treat them as if they do.
2. Manners – Don’t chew with your mouth open, say please and thank you, don’t talk over or interrupt and no body noises in public.
3. Discipline – Of course follow my rules, but what I really mean is if you start something, finish it.
4. Go to College – I don’t care what you study, but I want you to go just for the experience. It’s a great time in life. You’ll grow and mature so much and create some amazing memories and friendships.
5. Compassion – Don’t be a bully, feel sorry for them.
6. Forgiveness – This is one of the hardest things to learn in life. Learn to forgive.
7. Boys Are Gross – No seriously, they are. They pee on toilet seats…or in the yard, they smell, and that’s ok.
8. All of Your Choices Will Effect Your Future – Before you make any major decisions (and some that may not seem so major at the time) really think about it. How are you going to feel about that decision ten years from now.
9. Patriotism – Be proud of your country, but not so proud that you lose sight of right and wrong.
10. Unconditional Love, Conditionally – Love those who are worthy of your love. Anyone who disrespects you, hits you, or lies to you does not deserve your unconditional love. Walk away.