1. I have come to appreciate him more. I even miss his grumpiness in the mornings.
2. He was far more ready than I thought he was. In my mind he was still my little boy. Truth is, he is a young man.
3. When forced, they can actually do things for themselves.
4. My checking account was woefully unprepared.
5. My savings account was woefully unprepared.
6. When they are on their own, they appreciate you far more than they ever did when living at home. The value of a home cooked meal and someone doing their laundry? Finally has meaning.
7. Phone calls from college kids mean they need money. Texts from college kids mean they need money.
8. It is easy to get them to call if you mention the word money in your text. Text: “Hey kid, call me. Need to talk about money with you.” Or? “Hey kid, call me. I’ll give you $20.”
9. I live for holidays and summer breaks.
10. No matter how far they go, or how long they are gone, they are always “home” with their mom.
Got a kid going to college soon or someday? It will all be ok. I promise.