It is no secret that having a toddler (or two) in your house is not easy. They are messy, stinky, loud, and can make you crazy. Unlike having an infant, who basically only wants to sleep, eat, and poop, nothing is ever straight forward and simple with a toddler. Their behavior can frequently cause you to drink copious amounts wine. And? Nothing makes your life better like having a toddler.
10 reasons having a toddler makes your life better:
1. They see things you miss: To you seagulls are something to shoo away so they don’t steal your lunch. To them? A wondrous creature who flies through the sky and someone smaller than them to chase.
2. They force you to take a break: You’ve been at your computer for an hour while they watch Alvin and the Chipmunks. Need to finish that one last edit? Too bad. They need you and they’ve waited long enough. Walk away and have some fun. You both need the break.
3. Toddler Cuddles: There is nothing better than a toddler climbing in your lap and snuggling up. For just that moment, everything is right with the world. (Mostly because you aren’t having to chase them.)
4. They don’t hold a grudge: It doesn’t matter how bad you lose your crap with them. Ten minutes later it’s like it never happened and they’re repeating number three.
5. They teach you patience: It doesn’t matter how much of a rush you’re in, they will always want you to stop and look at the flowers. And the birds and the rock that looks like a bunny and the actual bunny and the leaf blowing through the wind and on and on and on and on…
6. There’s always that cuteness factor: Those mispronounced words, the innocent smiles, the accidental slips, spills and just about everything. It’s all darned cute.
7. They have no hate (well…except for sleep of course): Every new person they meet is a new best friend. It doesn’t matter their color, size, religious belief, political view or sexual orientation, they are simply just another human to play with and to love.
8. They force you to slow down: “I do it. I do it.” While doing it yourself is clearly faster and way easier, letting “I do it” teaches you both something. Them to do it. You to slow down. It will all be over far too soon. Slow down and enjoy what you can.
9. Things never go as planned: Plan on leaving the house at 8? Hahahahaha. You know that will never happen.
10. Unconditional Love. It doesn’t matter how bad your day went, that your hair looks like hell. that you haven’t showered in days, let alone touched a makeup brush…they will still love you…unconditionally. You are their mom.
What would you add?