We have been selling, moving and remodeling houses for the past several months and we have learned a few things. Below are 10 tips we think make the biggest different when decorating your home.
Click each photo to see where it came from and other similar ideas. P.s. We LOVE houzz.com.
1. Hang pictures and artwork at eye level. The center of the picture should be at eye level for the average person.
2. Group in odds. Threes not twos. Fives not fours. You get the idea.
3. Choose basic colors for your pallet. Add color in pieces that are easily replaced so that you can inexpensively give your rooms a new look.
4. Do what makes you happy. You aren’t doing this for a magazine shoot, you are doing it for you.
5. Don’t be afraid to take risks. Bold colors, a brick wall on the interior, garage doors in your main room. Do it.
6. It is way easier to pick a paint color once you’ve seen it in action. Do you have a favorite resort, hotel, restaurant or spa that captures the look you’re going for? Ask them for their paint colors. Nine times out of ten they’ll be more than happy to give you the paint color names.
7. Incorporate a favorite scarf or two into your decor. Drape a scarf over the sofa or over your favorite chair to get a pop of color.
8. Don’t feel like you have to keep to one style. Try a refurbished farm table in your dining room with funky industrial chairs. Everything matchy matchy looks staged.
9. Nothing can brighten a room like a vase full of fresh cut flowers.
10. Spend some time shopping the antique stores, Homegoods or even what was left behind by the previous owners for that one perfect piece that speaks to you. Let that be your muse for the rest of the room, table or even your house.
What tips do you have to offer?